Friday, July 6, 2007

All kitties go to heaven




Some of you may remember my post a few months back asking for prayers for my friend E's kitty cat, Murphy. Murphy was suffering from kidney problems and unfortunately earlier this week her little body could no longer handle the strain and E. had to make the painful decision to have her put down.
Murphy was 17-years-old and she had a long and happy life with E, but as anyone who has ever had a beloved pet knows, the choice to end their suffering by ending their life is one that none of us ever wants to make.

Murphy, who hadn't eaten in six days and was disoriented to the point that she found it hard to stand, spent her last hours in a warm patch of sunshine in the back yard. She then surprised us all by finding the strength to climb out of her carrier in the vet's office to explore the open waiting area, seemingly looking for the source of the Jimmy Buffet music that was playing overhead.
E. shared with me later that Murphy loved Jimmy Buffet and the two of them used to dance together while listening to his music.
Serendipity.

E. shared a poem with me that she says helped her make the decision to let Murphy go.
I made it to about the fourth line before I started bawling, and I doubt anyone who has been faced with this decision wouldn't do the same.

Rest in peace, our dear Murphy.
And as you frolic in kitty heaven, remember those who loved you, as we remember you.


THE LAST ACT OF COMPASSION
(S Hartwell)

She lies there gently breathing,
And she'd like for you to know,
That she's reached the final crisis
And it's time for her to go.
She needs a little help now,
To ease her from this life,
There's nothing left but suffering,
You can see it in her eyes.
The vet has got the answer,
To end her pain and fear,
That last act of compassion,
For a friend you love so dear.
So save her from those last days,
She deserves a final peace,
It's a mercy, not betrayal,
To ease her into sleep.
I know your heart is broken,
Though the pain, in time, will ease,
And at Heaven's gates she's waiting,
On the threshold of a dream.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this and for coming with me on what was one of the hardest moments of my life.

You are a wonderful friend,
E.

p.s.
Murph's favorite was 'Cheeseburger in Paradise'....she was thrilled when I gave up vegatarianism...

Anonymous said...

Murphy and I never "met" but I knew all the funny stories about her and, more recently, all the sad ones too. She was very special and I'm really happy to see how lovingly she has been portrayed in your blog. I have always believed that when we die and our souls go to heaven, all of the animals we've ever loved will be waiting there to greet us.

Anonymous said...

((((E. and Murphy)))

I brought my 16 yo kitty last year, and I went all alone. I still bring my cats to that vet, and I always get a lump in my throat when I drive by or go in.

It is a suck-ass thing to have to do, even when you know it's for the best. Glad you had someone to go with you.

And I couldn't even read that poem a second time, Mo.

I'm going to have to store that one somewhere.

Suzer said...

I couldn't read the poem the first time. I've got four kitties and I try not to think too much of that day.

Prayers and condolences for E., and I know Murph is now pain free and happily crossed over the Rainbow Bridge, waiting to be reunited with E. when the time comes.