Tuesday, June 12, 2007

I can breathe again....


Whhhooooooooosssssssssshhhhhhhhhh!
That's the sound of the air rushing out my lungs after holding my breath for the last two months as I agonized over my seminary situation.
The Boston school has confirmed that they WILL hold the scholarship for me should I choose to defer my entry until next year. This takes the element of risk out of making the decision to wait. I can apply to the NY school in January and see what they have to offer as far as financial assistance, and I can take the time to visit both schools again this fall to get a better sense of which school is the right fit for me.

As it stands now, there is no downside to waiting.
The only thing I have to lose is time, and as I plan to use that time to further discern where it is God is leading me, in my book this is not a loss but a gain.

Through my pastor and local church connections I've been given the names of grads of both schools who've said that they'd be more than happy to let me pick their brains about their experiences at their alma maters.

Ultimately, I know it's going to come down to which school feels right to me.
But I'm just grateful for having been given the time to let the comparison shopper inside me loose. Ask anyone who knows me…I am not an impulse buyer. It took me over a year to buy my first computer because I had to research every possible choice ad nauseam. I'm an information junkie. My SO will attest to the fact that she hates shopping with me because I will stand in front of a product display looking at every package, comparing every detail, and weighing every option before I make a decision…..that is until she screams, "It's just a damn surge protector…pick one and let's get out of here!"
Ok, I'm exaggerating, my SO is extremely patient with my idiosyncrasies and never screams (except for the "buying party supplies for our wedding" incident, which I won't go into now…I love you honey!)

All I have to say is, thank God for the internet…now I can research my purchases to my hearts desire and then head out to the store armed with a little sticky note that says "Buy the Panasonic DX6780376WHT, sale price $69.99." But God forbid the store doesn't have the Panasonic DX6780376WHT in stock but has the SONY CF8790845BLK which is "just as good" according to the 16-year-old salesperson who just wants you to leave so he can go on a smoke break......Now I have to make an on-the-spot decision, which is very unlikely to happen. Even finding the same product in a different color can send my decision making processes into a tizzy. As I stand there pondering what a black microwave would look like in our kitchen, and how easy will it be to keep clean, and what's up with that funky knob-button thing, I can feel my SO tapping her feet behind me. Thirty minutes later we'll walk out of the store the proud owners of "Unknown Brand" microwave and I just can't wait to get home so I can go online and read the product reviews (and hope that none says "has a tendency to explode without warning while in use").

So….you can see why choosing the school where I'm going to spend the next 3-4 years of my life is not a decision I can make on short notice.

Too bad Shopping.com doesn't rate seminaries....I'd be in info junkie heaven.





6 comments:

SassyFemme said...

Glad you get the time to work through the decision process!

Shopping with you would drive me insane! I look things over, but fairly quickly.

Wormwood's Doxy said...

Excellent news, MoCat!!! I'm so very happy for you.

And I'm totally mystified by your need to get subatomic data before you make a decision. But then again...if I had been that way, many of the major mistakes in my life would have been avoided.

Doxy rushes in where angels fear to tread---and often repents at leisure. ;-)

Rev. Maureen Frescott said...

Thanks sassy and doxy!
Believe me, I envy those of you who rush in where angels fear to tread. You may make more mistakes but you also have a lot more fun and uncover the fleeting gems that I let slip by because I take too long to make up my mind.

I suspect my obsession with gathering information stems from a fear of making a wrong choice and regretting it later on...but quite often it's the impulse decisions that bring us the joyful surprises that make live worth living.

Di said...

I am over here wagging for you. That's terrific news. (I, too, am a planner and a careful shopper.)

Oh-- and I've tagger you.

Anonymous said...

MoCat - This is good news! It sounds like you are being given a gift of time...to make sure you are making the best choice and heading in God's direction.

Blessings.

Magdalene6127 said...

MoCat, I am so, so happy for you... now you can think, breathe, pray, learn what you deeply want and what God wants in you.

Blessings,

Mags