Saturday, August 27, 2011

Losing my cross...


[Midrash] poem/prayer for August 28, 2011

it's a whole lot
         easier
      to lose my
            cross,
   than to lose my
      life
  
to leave it propped
      up against the corner
   of the closet, dust
         bunnies sleeping
       at its feet;
to ignore it
      standing on the coffee
   table, looking out the front
           window, its cow eyes
        brimming with tears,
      as i pull away from
     the curb;
to simply reply, 'i can't
   remember the last time
           i saw it,' when
      i'm asked, 'what ever
   happened to your cross?'

but
 
each morning, it puts
       Good
   into my hands,
   closing my fingers tight
          over it, whispering,
      'don't let go; don't ever
             let go.'
it tapes a picture of
            evil
      to my bathroom mirror,
   so i will know it
         when i see it,
     and stand up to
            it;
it spends each lonely day
   at the loom,
       weaving the yarns
   labeled hope, love,
      patience, perseverance
         into that community
    which helps me to  
        bear what is mine.


(c) 2011  Thom M. Shuman   




Thom M. Shuman
Interim Pastor
Immanuel Presbyterian Church, Cincinnati, OH
Associate Member, Iona Community


No comments: